NOTE: This site will be open to accept applications on September 1, 2017 for fall 2018 admissions.
We are glad you are choosing to apply to our genetic counselor training program! Our program is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Genetic Counseling (ACGC) and provides a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum. We take pride in the competence, leadership and success of our graduates. Completing this application is the next step in your path to a career as a genetic counselor.
Welcome to the University of Wisconsin Master of GC Studies Application
Before you begin there are several items that you will want available to most efficiently work through this application. They include:
- Test scores: While you will need to send official copies of your test scores, GRE and TOEFL (the latter for non-native english speakers), we do ask that you enter your scores (if available) since their may be a delay for official scores to reach our office.
- Transcripts: You are required to request that an official copy of all college transcripts be sent to our admissions coordinator, however, there is a place to upload an unofficial transcript. Uploading an unofficial transcript is optional.
- GPA: You will need to enter both your overall GPA (based on the last 60 credits of coursework and usually available on your transcript) and your science GPA (based on select courses). There is an online formula for the science GPA which requires that you enter course name, number of credits and grade.
- NMS match code number:The Master of Genetic Counselor Studies (MGCS) is participating in the Genetic Counseling Admissions Match through National Matching Services (NMS) beginning with admissions for Fall 2018. All applicants must first register for the Match with NMS before applying to participating genetic counseling graduate programs . You must enter your NMS match code number to submit your completed UW-Madison MGCS application.Visit the GC Admissions Match website at https://natmatch.com/gcadmissions/ for further information.
- PDF documents: A personal statement and a resume/CV are required. Remember your statement should be no longer than three pages, double-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman font. The document should be uploaded in a pdf format.
- Names and contact information for references: We use an online recommendation format that sends a link by email address to your recommender. The link allows them to upload their letter of recommendation.
- Credit card information: The application fee ($75.00) is submitted through a secure link using Cashnet which is a direct connection to the UW-Madison.
- Application deadline: Your application must be submitted by January 1, 2018 to be considered for Fall 2018 admission.
Lastly, our program participates in the GC Admissions Match process through National Matching Services, Inc. (NMS). All applicants must also register with NMS, in addition to completing a training program application, to be considered for acceptance to a GC program for fall 2018.
Again, thank you for choosing to apply to our Master of Genetic Counselor Studies. If at anytime you have questions about the application process feel free to contact our graduate coordinator, April Meiller (email@example.com).
We look forward to reviewing your application!
Catherine Reiser MS CGC
Director, Master of Genetic Counselor Studies
Associate Professor (CHS)